ExpandED Schools is a leading afterschool organization that advances educational equity for students from under-served communities across New York City. Founded in 1998 with a catalytic $125M grant from the Open Society Foundations, ExpandED designed the nation’s first city-wide, publicly-funded system for afterschool programming. Today, through advocacy, research, and program development, ExpandED continues to build the capacity of the NYC afterschool field to address the educational inequities that prevent far too many students from reaching their full potential.
Now more than ever, under-served students need access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to help them deal with the trauma of the pandemic and racial injustice and make up for lost learning time due to the public health crisis. In the face of remote learning and cuts to city and state budgets, ExpandED is designing online programming, organizing and uniting partners across the afterschool field, and leading the fight for urgently-needed public funding to ensure kids from communities most affected by COVID-19 will continue to have access to a robust public education, whether in-person or remotely.
Purpose of the Position: ExpandED Schools’ Research Department is seeking a part-time Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) to support its evaluation efforts in the winter and spring of 2023, likely extending beyond into future school years. The Research Department conducts external evaluations of a large number of federally funded afterschool programs as well as internal evaluations of specific literacy and STEM initiatives. The Research Department also engages in research projects with nonprofit partners to best serve the needs of the NYC K-12 field. Using research-based tools and methods, we undertake a systematic process to regularly monitor quality and program results. We are seeking GRAs to assist in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, conduct field observations, and to assist with other research tasks as needed.
This is a part-time, temporary position extending through June 30, 2023. Hours will vary and offer scheduling flexibility; we anticipate 15-20 hours per week, with about 5 hours per week occurring during work hours (9am – 5pm EST). The remaining 10-15 hours per week can be completed outside of regular work hours. There is a likelihood this position will extend beyond June 2023 for multiple school years, pending confirmation of funding.
Duties & Responsibilities: The GRA will support Research Team projects and tasks as needed, primarily focused on external evaluations of NYC K-12 out-of-school time (OST) initiatives. Potential responsibilities include:
- Quantitative data entry and data cleaning.
- Supporting quantitative analysis of data, including supporting data visualization.
- Conducting field observations of afterschool programs following training in use of the Out-of-School Time (OST) Observation tool and Dimensions of Success (DoS) training protocols.
- Supporting facilitation and note-taking with focus groups, interviews, or other qualitative data collection methods.
- Other data and research tasks as needed, to be determined in collaboration with the Senior Director of Research, with consideration for GRA preference.
Qualifications: GRAs are expected to:
- Be dependable and organized, with excellent time management skills.
- Have strong communication and writing skills.
- Have previous experience in quantitative data collection and analysis techniques or coursework in quantitative methods.
- Be professional at all times through quality of work, punctuality, attendance, and attitude.
- Display the initiative and ability to learn knowledge of the field.
- Previous experience with qualitative data collection and analysis, such as observations or focus groups, preferred but not required.
- Experience with quantitative or qualitative analysis platforms, such as SPSS, PowerBI, NVivo, or Atlas.ti preferred but not required.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and/or Bengali a plus.
Location: ExpandED’s current policy offers significant remote flexibility.
Compensation: GRAs are paid at a rate of $26.75 per hour.
Part-time, temporary employees are eligible for paid sick time under the New York Paid Sick Leave law. Sick time is accrued at a rate of one hour for every thirty hours worked.
Application Process: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], Subject: Graduate Research Assistant. No faxes or phone calls, please. ExpandED Schools will only contact candidates selected for an interview.
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.