ExpandED Schools is a leading afterschool organization that advances educational equity for students from under-served communities across New York City. Founded in 1998 with a catalytic $125M grant from the Open Society Foundations, ExpandED designed the nation’s first city-wide, publicly-funded system for afterschool programming. Today, through advocacy, research, and program development, ExpandED continues to build the capacity of the NYC afterschool field to address the educational inequities that prevent far too many students from reaching their full potential.
Now more than ever, under-served students need access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to help them heal from the trauma of the pandemic and racial injustice and make up for lost learning time. As we emerge from a public health crisis, ExpandED is organizing and uniting partners across the afterschool field and leading the fight for urgently-needed public funding to ensure kids from communities most affected by COVID-19 will continue to have access to a robust public education.
Purpose of the Position:
ExpandED is currently in an exciting phase of expansion, during which we are hiring and onboarding many new employees. We are seeking a part-time HR professional who will provide project management and administrative support to recruit and select top talent and to welcome and integrate them into our team with high levels of support and professionalism. Hours will vary and offer significant scheduling flexibility; we anticipate 15-20 hours per week.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the HR & Administration Manager, the HR Coordinator will:
- Work with each internal hiring manager to establish a project plan for the hiring of each new employee, and provide regular updates, reminders, and supports to ensure that benchmarks are met in a timely fashion.
- Maintain master tracker of candidates and hiring activities for each open position to ensure that we fill vacancies in a timely fashion.
- Publicize new positions for interested internal candidates and post publicly on a variety of sites for external candidates; seek out new opportunities to recruit and attract qualified candidates for our team.
- Receive, file, and share applications with hiring managers and/or screen resumes based on agreed-upon criteria.
- Conduct outreach, schedule, and conduct initial phone interviews with selected candidates.
- Distribute, collect, and organize application paperwork, lists of references, and hiring tasks from finalists.
- Schedule second-round interviews, including setting up Zoom links, establishing second-round hiring panels, and ensuring that members of the hiring team have materials and protocols.
- Make and document reference check calls.
- Generate and send official offer letters.
- Complete onboarding paperwork, including I-9 verification and technology set-up forms.
- Ensure that new hires receive laptops, building ID cards, and any other necessary materials and equipment.
- Collect headshots for new employees and ensure that they are added to the organization’s website.
- Perform other work as assigned.
Candidates should bring experience and exceptional skills in:
- Organization, details-orientation, and project management
- Written and verbal communication
- Time management, including ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities
- Sound judgment, especially related to people and talent
- Experience in recruitment and hiring employees preferred
Location: ExpandED Schools is a hybrid workplace. Most of the responsibilities for this position can be performed remotely, but occasional work in our office in midtown Manhattan will be required.
Compensation: $26-30 per hour, based on experience
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick time under the New York Paid Sick Leave Law. Sick time is accrued at a rate of one hour for every thirty hours worked.
Application Process: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], Subject: Part-Time HR Coordinator. No faxes or phone calls, please. ExpandED Schools will only contact candidates selected for an interview.
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. We also work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, ExpandED Schools hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.