ExpandED Schools is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnerships so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today reaches more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ program, research and policy efforts have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership. The pandemic further highlighted the importance of academic and SEL support as well as ExpandED’s vital function in providing high-quality learning activities.
This fall, ExpandED Schools is launching a dual-impact initiative scaling access to high impact tutoring city-wide. This initiative, in partnership with the NYC DOE and other city agencies, will help coordinate efforts to ensure high impact tutoring services reach all students who would benefit from them while also building capacity of the district, tutoring providers, and community-based organizations to deliver high impact tutoring. Initial implementation will focus on reaching 15,000 early elementary and middle school students in five to ten selected school districts over the next three years, as well as coalition-level support to reach additional students, schools and tutor partners throughout the city. In parallel, the initiative will also establish a strategic tutor-to-teacher pipeline to recruit and train the next generation of diverse and talented New York City public school educators.
Duties & Responsibilities
We are currently building a team of five Program Managers, each of whom will report to the Director, Tutoring Program Implementation, and will provide individualized on-site coaching and technical assistance to school and CBO leaders participating in our high-impact tutoring initiative. Each Program Manager, High-Impact Tutoring (HIT) will provide holistic coaching, support and technical assistance to a portfolio of 10-15 HIT sites including the following:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key personnel at program sites, including program partners and participating educators
- Coordinate and conduct support and coaching visits to schools to provide coaching, on-site support and to observe program quality; meet with school teams to support program implementation. Provide technical assistance on the HIT core strategies.
- Manage coaching-related communications and logistics (scheduling, reminder communications, follow-up communications, etc.)
- Help community partners and schools establish HIT programs; establish routines, protocols and reporting mechanisms to ensure successful implementation of program
- Support program sites with collecting and reviewing a wide range of data to inform initiative-level evaluation and improvement efforts. Support school-based HIT teams to access and analyze implementation and outcome data to inform site-based continuous improvement.
- Serve as a thought partner for areas of on-going programmatic growth, using learning and insights from in-field coaching to inform evolving program strategy.
- Participate in reporting for and technical assistance opportunities from initiative funders.
- Collaborate with colleagues on special projects and perform other work as assigned.
Deep commitment to ExpandED Schools’ vision of an equitable public education system that prepares young people for long-term success.
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and knowledge of the cultures of stakeholders we work with and communities we serve.
- Experience in program management, working in public schools and/or afterschool programs, preferably in New York City.
- Experience supporting partnerships between schools and community organizations particularly in a coaching capacity, strongly preferred.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: academic intervention; high-impact tutoring; early literacy; middle school math; youth development; and/or social-emotional learning.
- Excellent speaking, writing, and facilitation skills with diverse audiences.
- Outstanding organizational skills, motivation, and detail-orientation.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change. Experience working in a start-up environment is a plus.
- Creative thinking, strong interpersonal skills, the desire to work collaboratively, and a sense of humor.
- Competent computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness and ability to travel within New York City frequently and occasional overnight trips.
This position requires regular use of public transportation and occasional work in city buildings that may require climbing stairs.
Salary Range: $69,000 – $74,000
ExpandED Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits package includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- Paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in training and coaching
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], Subject: Program Manager, High Impact Tutoring. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.