ExpandED is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnership so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today reaches more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ program, research and policy efforts have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership. The pandemic further highlighted the importance of academic and SEL support as well as ExpandED’s vital function in providing high-quality learning activities.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Vice President, K-8 Enrichment, will play a leading role in nurturing 200 school-community partnerships offering learning and enrichment activities for children in grades K – 8. The Vice President will advance collaboration and coherence among program support, literacy, STEM and social-emotional learning teams to ensure impact and citywide support in line with ExpandED’s values and theory of action, increasing the quality, availability and sustainability of learning opportunities for New York City’s children.
We are hiring a Vice President, K-8 Enrichment, to lead ExpandED’s work scaling high-impact K-8 enrichment citywide. This dynamic and complex portfolio uses core strengths for ExpandED in grantmaking, model design and scale, capacity-building and coaching to increase the quality of afterschool experiences for children in public schools in New York City. The portfolio includes start-up, scaling and sustainability initiatives simultaneously, and offers an opportunity to unite program areas with common assets, objectives and long-term goals for greater impact for New York City public school students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and continuously improve ExpandED’s K-8 Enrichment initiative strategy, including:
- Collaborating with academic and enrichment providers;
- Ensuring that all K-8 enrichment programs at ExpandED advance a culturally responsive approach and affirm diverse student identities;
- Advancing programmatic priorities in topics such as social and emotional learning, STEM, and literacy; and
- Managing funder relationships and securing funds for ExpandED’s enrichment portfolio.
- Lead a team of approximately 12 members, focused on comprehensive afterschool program support and implementation of STEM, SEL and literacy initiatives.
- Work with the ExpandED research team to refine internal data infrastructure, develop and advance a research agenda seeking to gain lessons about effective citywide implementation systems, and ensure full tracking and evaluation of programmatic outcomes.
- In collaboration with program directors, iterate and re-design initiative models based on program learning from early local implementation experiences.
- Analyze budgets across initiatives to realize economies of scale and opportunities for cost-sharing, and prioritize fundraising needs.
- Develop and strengthen multi-level relationships with relevant government staff and officials in New York City and State, including the New York City DOE, DYCD, Mayor’s Office, City Council, city agencies, State Education Department, Office of Children & Family Services, and other agencies.
- Develop, maintain and build on ExpandED Schools’ external partnerships and coalitions throughout the city with school-based comprehensive afterschool providers, content experts, school and city agency staff, and other intermediaries.
- Collaborate across departments internally to build programmatic choices that reflect ExpandED priorities and beliefs.
- Engage partners in initiative implementation and engage diverse stakeholders in the New York City education community to iterate and continuously improve the initiative’s strategy.
- Focus on systemic implementation of enrichment with high-fidelity implementation in order to reach most marginalized student communities
- Perform other work as assigned.
- Experience and deep knowledge of the afterschool sector, including principles of youth development and informal education
- Experience scaling education initiatives and experience with research, continuous improvement and driving programmatic strategy and systems change, preferably in New York City or State
- Experience building partnerships/coalitions across diverse stakeholders for collective action
- Experience working in and/or with city agencies
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and knowledge of the cultures of stakeholders we work with and communities we serve
- Deep commitment and passion for educational equity
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change
- Ability to manage multiple large, complex projects in a fast-paced environment, and work as part of a team.
- Exceptional organization, motivation, and detail-orientation.
- Excellent speaking, writing, and facilitation skills with diverse audiences.
- Willingness and ability to travel, frequently within New York City and occasionally outside the city
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with experience in education and youth development.
- Competent computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Salary Range: $125,000 – $130,000
ExpandED Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits package includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- Paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in training and coaching
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected], Subject: VP, K-8 Enrichment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.